PIA KAUMA (FINLAND)
OSCE PA President George Tsereteli (Georgia) appointed Pia Kauma (Finland) as Special Representative on Civil Society Engagement in August 2019.
Pia Kauma has been a Member of the Finnish Parliament from 2011-2015 and again since 2017. With an education in economics and business, she has served in the Parliament on the Commerce Committee, Social Affairs and Health Committee, Grand Committee, Constitutional Law Committee, and the Environment Committee.
In the OSCE PA, she has been a Member of the Finnish Delegation from 2011-2015, an Alternate Member from 2017-2019, and a Member since 2019. She served as the Rapporteur of the General Committee on Political Affairs and Security in 2013-2014, and has participated in numerous election observation missions.
As Special Representative on Civil Society Engagement, Kauma is tasked with examining the topic and reporting back to the President and the Assembly by the Annual Session in July 2020 on suggested future work by the OSCE PA in this field.
- Promote co-operation and serve as a focal point for engagement between the OSCE PA and representatives of civil society and non-governmental organizations;
- Work in consultation with other OSCE PA Members engaging in work with representatives of civil society and non-governmental organizations;
- Advise on ways for the Assembly to ensure an inclusive approach to representatives of civil society and non-governmental organizations and on the implementation of Assembly practices in these matters as well as on the development of new policies and approaches;
- Advise on engagement with non-governmental organizations’ contributions to OSCE PA meetings and associated events.
- Newly appointed Special Representative Pia Kauma to enhance OSCE PA civil society engagement - 16 August 2019