IRENE CHARALAMBIDES (CYPRUS)
Irene Charalambides was appointed the OSCE PA’s Special Representative on Fighting Corruption by OSCE PA President George Tsereteli (Georgia) on in July 2019. In his appointment letter, Tsereteli reiterated the priority that OSCE PA has placed on addressing corruption, including by adopting the 2019 resolution “The Role of National Parliaments in Preventing and Combating Corruption in the OSCE Area,” which Irene Charalambides co-sponsored.
Raise awareness in the OSCE Parliamentary Assembly regarding the urgency to effectively combat corruption at all levels;
Promote a greater understanding of the security threats stemming from corruption, of its detrimental effects on our societies, and of its pervasive links with other forms of serious crime, such as organized crime and terrorism;
Facilitate co-operation on anti-corruption issues within the OSCE PA among all Delegations, including in terms of possible follow-up to relevant OSCE PA recommendations;
Promote high-level partnerships with the OSCE Chairmanship, OSCE executive structures and with relevant international stakeholders on issues related to combating corruption;
Consider developments in the OSCE region and advise the President as required.
- Resolution on the Role of National Parliaments in Preventing and Combating Corruption in the OSCE Area (Luxembourg Declaration)
- Strengthening transparency and accountability key to fighting corruption, says OSCE PA’s Charalambides - 9 December 2019
- In Paris and Strasbourg, OSCE PA Special Representative Charalambides builds stronger ties with key international actors fighting corruption - 14 November 2019
- Greater political will needed to combat corruption, says Special Representative Charalambides at Bratislava seminar - 25 October 2019
- In Vienna, OSCE PA Special Representative on Fighting Corruption develops co-operative approaches with counterparts from UN and OSCE - 18 September 2019
- Tsereteli appoints new Special Representative and Rapporteur on corruption and disinformation, reappoints Special Reps - 25 July 2019